Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I checked coil wire power on red wire with key on do you…

Ok I checked coil wire...
Ok I checked coil wire power on red wire with key on do you think maybe the distributor it is a little rusty under the rotor plate is there a way to check for power at the distributor
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

What engine do you have and are you having a no spark issue?

no spark ford 460 I replaced the ignition module on fender and new coil

I just go finished helping another customer with same issue and it was the distributor stator inside distributor and they replaced distributor to fix the problem and get spark again. Since you already the only other two components that can cause it then the distributor is last component. It is sensor that sends signal t module to fire the coil.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Jaybird61
OK thanks I will check distributor to see if shaft is tight to see if replace whole thing or jest stator I think it is original I will let you know how it goes

In order to change sensor in distributor the distributor needs to be pressed apart and gear pressed back on the same as it was removed or it will not align up correctly. Most people just replace entire assembly if they do not have a press.

Hi I had to order the new distributor be in next week maybe wed.

Ok.

hey Jaybird61 got the new distributor in and it started set timing sounds good thanks for the help one down one more to go are
you any good at wiring problems I have a 99 mec. mountaineer I might need some help on I need to check all fuses

My software is done until tomorrow. What info did you need and I may be able to answer it now for you without you opening a new questions for a different vehicle and problem.

well its a long story weeks ago the wipers did not work thought it was froze on window I pulled on wiper then it worked a week
later started up an the wiper an windows don't work checked all fuses moved breakers around still the same checked battery cables windows and wipers worked cleaned posts now do not work now next day it don't start turn key on to start no click at all
I donot see the theft light on the dash not working I only have one key wish I would have had one made. I had a rat eat on some of the wires back in 2009 maybe one got bad I have to look at it better. I put new battery and pos.cable still no luck when I turn the key on hold on start the door locks lock an unlock. maybe bad key an lock up.seems like these newer cars are only good for 100.000 miles

This sound like a job that may require a lot more than I can help in a simple answer. I suspect you have more wire problems from the rodent eating into the wire harness. I have seen problems show up months after rodents have eaten harness covering. I would recommend opening a new question on this vehicle so I can help you with it. JustAnswers requires us to only answer one question on one vehicle and have you open a new question for it will be required.

ok thanks anyway I need to check the wires out better anyway when I get some time to work on it.

You are welcome.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61