Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Cylinder 1 miss fire. 2012 ford escape four cylinder. At the…

Cylinder 1 miss fire ...

Cylinder 1 miss fire

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2012 ford escape four cylinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

At the shop, they did and injector, also something with the cylinder, still not getting compression, they recommend taking out the heads/ cylinder and re doing them or installing a used engine

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Automatic 225000 miles

11/22/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

If you have low compression on the cylinder it can be from a leaking valve, piston rings or cylinder head gasket leak. If the shop does a cylinder leakage test this will pressurize the cylinder to see where the air pressure is coming out of and then determine what component has failed.

They have done that, they recommend pulling heads and redoing or replace engine

What was leaking? Did they say?

Heads I think they said.

For this year of vehicle normal mileage is 75,000 miles and you could get a used engine with a lot less mileage than you have now and should last you a long time if a used engine is put in versus trying to rebuild your engine. Also will cost less to replace in labor alone.

Remember if they just do heads you still have a lower engine with over 215,000 miles on it.

Do you know if you have the 2.5 or 3.0 motor in your vehicle?

Not sure, 4 cylinder

Okay the 4 cylinder is 2.5. Is it the Hybrid or regular drive?

The labor to remove and replace the motor is 10.6 hours and the labor to overhaul the complete motor is 26.5 hours. This does not include parts or any tests they have done so far. You see the labor is much less on replacement. Depending on the labor rate the overhaul is more than $1600 just in labor and a used engine may be close to that.

Regular

Okay the labors I gave you were for regular engine.

Jaybird61
Thanks

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61