Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I was told it was a short to transmission module 93 ford

ranger xlt JA: When was your...
I was told it was a short to transmission module 93 ford ranger xlt
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: No problem with fluid its pink and not burnt
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Its waz running fine took bf to dr parked it came out started it picked up bf shut off low on fuel started it up again would not start bought gas still wont start towed to house could not here fuel pump so replaced not it kept blowing ecu fuse traced short to transmission
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The modulator valve was replaced before i had this problem because it wasn't shifting well
11/22/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what liter engine is in your model here?

What amperage is this fuse and is it labeled ECU?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
30 4.0

Are you saying it is a 30 amp fuse?

Does your fuse panel look like this below?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8osyvtvby5f2f9/fus-11-22.gif?dl=0

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Got it to stop blowing fuse but it wont start still told it was a short to transmission module idk if thats it

Let me know if you received my last reply about your fuse panel above?

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
No its a big green fuse second one in facing fender
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I would take picture hood to heavy i am too short

O.k.,is it possible this fuse is labeled EEC power fuse?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
thats what it is

O.k.,that fuse feeds direct to the PCM ( engine and transmission computer) as well as the PCM power relay.This relay then powers several engine and transmission components.If you unplug the transmission connections and the fuse does not short this is an issue with either the torque converter clutch solenoid shorted needing repalced or the 3-4 shift solenoid as this fuse powers these electronics.I dont see it being the transmission module but instead a short in the wiring leading to the transmission or a short with one of these solenoids in the transmission itself.You would have to have each one of these solenoids disconnected in the transmission one at a time and a new fuse installed each time to locate which one is causing this short needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
EEC power fuse is correct

O.k.,I posted an answer to the issue above.If it didnt come through let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Pete, Auto Service Technician