Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2011 F-550, 6.7L diesel that is used for work. It…

Customer Question
I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 F-550, 6.7L diesel that is used for work. It has been having issues with the DEF system since May of this year. We have had the particulate filters baked, the sensors at the engine and exhaust replaced but continue to get the Idle Engine Soon warning and the graphic that tells me the DEF level is low (it's not). We keep losing power and I am about at my wits end. The Ford dealer isn't much help. I've got almost $2000 invested trying to get it right but am getting nowhere. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

It keeps getting the Idle Engine Soon light with the graphic I wrote of above. The sensors that were replaced were the four that show the temperature at each cylinder(?) and the one in the exhaust which ford did yesterday. We've picked it up twice in the past week, and both times we' ve gotten the same notations. Right now the engine is running on a very low power in forward but seems to pick up a bit in reverse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F550 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, it's been to a large fleet service company here in Detroit as well as to the dealer. It's been there the past two weeks, in and out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just how to fix it. Is it safe to drive it back to the dealer?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
11/22/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you happen to have the fault code info that is coming up with this fault here?

Did the dealer perform any programming at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

The fault code is 'engine idle soon' and shows the graphic that the DEF level is low. No, they did not perform any programming.

O.k.,that is a description of the fault occuring but there should be a code that is setting with this issue here.Did you have the codes read out or can you get the codes read out?

If the dealer did not check for any updated programming this should be done.Some models the engine computer can have updated programming for DEF faults like your seeing here.This has to be checked and done by a dealer.

But if you can get the fault code number and post it here this will help to narrow down what is occuring.

You can drive it to the dealer as long as it's a short distance less then 10 or 15 miles maybe but you will be in a reduced power mode the whole way there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete