Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Master Service Technician
100266682

We're from Texas and driving north. outside temp 30F and

Customer Question

we're from Texas and driving north. outside temp 30F and vehicle temp gauge showing lower than normal position. Should I be concerned
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2003 Ford Expedition
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, nothing. Just stopped for the night at Hotel
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gabriel Grey replied 12 months ago.

Good evening, I hope you are doing well and having a good trip so far. My name is***** am a Ford technician and would be happy to assist you with this.

Is it the ambient air temperature gauge or the engine temperature gauge that is showing low? And what position is it in?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
engine temp gauge. pointer is probably midway between center (normal) and 'C"

Alright that is what I figured. It most likely was the change in environment, it is pretty normal to see the temperature changing based on the environment. With it being that cold outside the engine naturally stays a bit cooler. What you would want to be concerned about is if the engine was getting too hot when it was cooler outside.

Once the engine cools down a bit make sure to double check the coolant level, if that looks good then I say you are good to go :)