Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 08 Expedition EL and the Interior light will not…

I have a 08...

I have a 08 Expedition EL and the Interior light will not come on when the doors are open only by the dimmer switch. It does register that the doors are ajar in the message center. I did replace the dimmer switch thinking the resistor did fail but no luck

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition EL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed the dimmer switch no luck

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope thats it

11/22/2017
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. The issue that you are having is going to be due to a faulty SJB/GEM module. This module contains an internal control that is responsible for the courtesy lamp activation and function. You can check the fuses, but with the lights actually coming on, the fuses are going to be good. You can inspect fuse #s 9. 10. and 25. Also, you may want to check the battery saver relay. These fuses and relay are more than likely sound and you will need to replace the SJB. Here I am attaching the electrical diagram of the circuits with the areas of concern highlighted.

I was thinking the GEM module, is it a dealer part only, and does it need to be married to the vehicle via Ford?

Here is fuse location information along with the replacement information. This component is usually dealer only unless you check online. Also, it has the be configured with a scan tool. The information will have to be transferred/programmed.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks for your help. It's going to the dealer for a new GEM.