Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Keeps blowing a fuse when put into drive. 1999 Ranger 4x4

Keeps blowing a fuse when...
Keeps blowing a fuse when put into drive
JA: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1999 Ranger 4x4 automatic
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I’m not I’ve had it to 3 different garages and they can’t figure it out
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Last place I had it at he said it was a sensor of some kind inside the transmission causing it and you have to drop the pan to replace it ?
11/22/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, which fuse is blowing when you put it in gear, in the underhood fuse panel or interior fuse panel? What fuse number and amperage? It blows in reverse or drive?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Underwood

Ok what fuse??

What fuse?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
It’s blowing a fuse in the box under the hood! I think the guy said number 13? He told me the cause was from some type of sensor in the transmission and the pan needs dropped to replace it ! So I don’t know if this is the problem and what the sensor is called so I can get it?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
It the is what’s causing it ! At this point I’m frustrated after 3 mechanics couldn’t fix it ! Last guy didn’t want to fool with it after he determined what he said was the issue ! The reason he seems positive this is the cause is he one by one unhooked wires going to different senors etc. and no other one blew the fuse until he did the one going to the transmission

Ok I need to know which fuse is blowing, I cant guess or tell which circuit to look at without the fuse number

Which engine 3.0 or 4.0? What fuse how many amps is the fuse?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I’m told it’s the number 13 fuse and that it was a 15 amp fuse. It controls. The o2 sensor , the crank position sensor and the pressure switch solenoid (shift Solenoid)
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
3.0 engine
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
The last mechanic I had it too did what you said took all the wires lose and he pinpointed it to the transmission. Calling is a pressure switch solenoid or shift solenoid.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I’d like to know what it’s act called and if all it is to replace it is dropping the pan and taking it out and putting the new one in

Ok the 15 amp fuse I see is fuse 10, fuse 13 is on the side as shown in the high lighted area. If it is fuse 13, you have to drop the transmission pan and unplug each item one by one and use a 15 amp circuit breaker in place of a fuse so you dont waste fuses and see if its a shift solenoid, torque convertor clutch solenoid of electronic line pressure control solenoid or the wiring going to it. Look at my other attachments, it shows the fuse sending power to all 3 items inside the transmission.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok I understand. It is the blue one on top there that is blowing that I’m sure of
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok then I’m being told wrong on the fuse number and which one by these backyard mechanics ��

Well I gave you the answer if its fuse number 13.

If you need more help please let me know. If I answered your questions please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

The only blue 15 amp fuse I see in that photo is for the horn only

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok. Thank You very much for your help I appreciate it truly. I am satisfied will do.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Can you circle the number 13 one that is causing the issues

You are welcome. Just let me know if you need more help.

I did in the other attachment in yellow

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Oh ok I missed that

I posted it again for you

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Again Thank You �� very much and you have a Great day! I really needed your experience and expertise bye

You are welcome, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positve rating so I get credit for helping you

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I sure will!

Thank you

Cary York
Phone call session started
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans