Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ron - The cruise control will not engage when activate nor…

Ron - The cruise control...
Ron - The cruise control will not engage when activate nor will the cruise light come on in the dash. This car only has 49,000 miles on it, was driven by older people who probably never used the cruise control. Where do I start troubleshooting?
11/21/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Start first with making sure your horn and your breaks light work and then check the fuses, there are 5 fuse that can effect the cruise system . all fuse to check are shown in the enclosed cruise control systems wiring diagram in the first link below. If the fuse check okay as well as the horn and break light then run through the enclosed test steps in the second link below. Also take a close look at the breaks switch mounted to the master cylinder for any signs of break fluid in it. If its wet, replace it. Post back if you have more questions and or need more help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/22lpb0r77qm5dqz/cruise%20wiring%20Nov%2021.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lge6wyqftnzlg5r/Cruise%20contril%20Nov%2021.pdf?dl=0

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
All tests w\checked out fine EXCEPT step 4. tan/orange wire in run position shows 14.5v, on position 12.6 and OFF position shows 0 Volts.
What does that indicate?

Did you check the break switch at the deactivation switch, this wire gets its power from the fuse 217 in the interior fuse panel and come through the pressure switch. Start with making sure the fuse is okay and then check and see if you have power from it at the switch on the green/red wire. It should have constant power .

ignition switch can be in any position?

Yes, this fuse is hot all the time and so should the power supply from it to the deactivation switch.

Green/Red wire reads 12.4volts

Okay and what do you have on the tan/orange, this switch is normally closed and opened when pressing the breaks.

What position should the deactivation switch be in? Seems very loose, wires were in the up position I can move the switch so wires are facing to the rear or numerous positions. tan/orange still read 0 volts

See the link below for mounting. It looks to me like its bad and if so that will keep the cruise from working. Both wire should be hot with no Brakes depressed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukuc544lidx3b44/bdeactivation%20switch%20Nov%2021.pdf?dl=0

I checked the wrong switch on the brake pedal - I checked the switch to the right of the deactivation switch. Now I removed the deactivation switch checked green/red wire has power - orange/tan has 0v but when I push plunger all the way in by hand it reads battery power. Plugged switch back in push brake peddle in reads 0 power. does this confirm the deactivation switch is bad?

Yes it dose, this is also a very common switch to fail as well.

THANKS SO MUCH!!

Your very welcome and thank you very much as well.