Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2014 ford f350 with about 70000 km's on it and it…

Customer Question
Hello there I have...

Hello there I have a 2014 ford f350 with about 70000 km's on it and it started shuddering and running rough. the filter box has water in it and the filter is very black on the one side and looks like it was submerged in water, there was heavy rain the previous night. What could possibly be the problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you metered out the ignition system?

Not sure, the mechanic sent me pictures of the filter and filter box and saying it was going to be a lot of money to repair, injector issues possibly a new engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It runs but very roughly and there aren't any indicator light son the dash. what would cause a filter to be so wet and black?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm just trying to make sense of it all.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/21/2017
Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd 1st try removing the air filter to see how it runs without it, as if the filter has been soaked they then expand and just choke the engine

I'd also check the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet, however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it., which could find its way back to the filter

If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.

If you do find oil replace the valve

I'd also suggest doing a compression test across all the cylinders to ensure that they are all within 10-15 psi of each other and so check the engine hasn't been damaged by sucking any water in?

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you