Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Transmission trays to jump out of overdrive and chatters?

JA: When was your transmission...
transmission trays to jump out of overdrive and chatters?
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: never checked it has 89000
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing but ford is going to look at it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: sounds like a solenoid is going bad ,I do know a lot about cars but the new ones has a lot of switches?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor