Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Driving my 2006 Ford Freestyle last night and lost power to…

Customer Question
Driving my 2006 Ford...

Driving my 2006 Ford Freestyle last night and lost power to most of my guages, power steering, power brakes etc... engine was still running. Pulled over and restarted, seemed to work then but then had some "surging" while trying to limp it home

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Comes and goes... left it at a friends house last night. going to pick it up this morning so just looking for ideas to start diagnosing

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Freestyle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself... haven't tried anything yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No... have looked online and am wondering if this could be related to the throttle body

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
11/21/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 7 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name isCustomerand I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you.

YES, it could be related to the throttle body or throttle body assembly. There could be a component that has failed causing all of these problems which can and will affect or include the throttle body assembly.

Although it is hard for me to say for sure what is causing the issue at this point as I cannot see your vehicle, I can provide some possible causes and direction for you to help locate the problem.

Two things I would recommend that you start with. First, check for codes in the computer using a scanner or a code reader. If you do not have one, you will need to rent, purchase or borrow one.

Next, I would recommend to check and rule out the battery and alternator. Make sure the serpentine belt is on correctly and is turning the alternator, be sure the alternator is charging when the engine is running and be sure the battery passes a load test and is fully charged. Also, be sure the battery cables and clean and tight and the engine and frame have a good ground.

If all checks out good, all fuses will need to be checked and the power supply will need to be checked/confirmed going into the cluster.

For the surging, this could be a few different things. The most common would be an air/vacuum leak or a faulty air/fuel sensor.

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you... Will start with this

Your welcome.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!