Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2009 ford ranger xlt. it was making belt noise. it…

Customer Question
Hello there i have...

Hello there i have a 2009 ford ranger xlt. it was making belt noise. it is coming from the bottom right. i think it is the a/c compressor. i think it is seizing up. i rarely use it but did today and this whistle noise started up. when i looked inside the engine compartment it seemed like the pulley would stop moving occassionally and the lower belt would keep turning and hwnce the noise. when i shut off the A/c it seemed to stop being a problem. Q? am i right that the a/c is the unit on the bottom right? why would it sieze up like that when on? can i drive it ok if i dont use the a/c? thanks for your help

Mechanic's Assistant: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?

The bottom belt. i believe its the accessory belt. hasnt been changed for a couple years

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing , im trying to diagnose first not fix yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I want to point out that its diagnosis thats v important to me because i want to know if i can drive it when there is no noise

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
11/21/2017
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 5 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Yes I believe that you are correct that the ac compressor is your problem. Yes you can drive it for a while, but you will not be able to turn the defroster on as the compressor is active with the defroster on. You would be better off unplugging the compressor so it can not activate and burn the belt off.

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech