Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It's trying to start itself with out keys. And yes. 2001…

Customer Question
It's trying to start...

It's trying to start itself with out keys

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes and yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2001 f250 7.3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I've tried the starter solenoid

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
11/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 4 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name isCustomerand I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Are you saying the engine cranks over but itself without the key in the ignition?

Does this happen intermittently or all of the time with the battery connected?

As soon as I connect the battery it does it and it kills battery.

Thank you for that information.

One moment please

If you remove the small wire going to the starter relay, does this problem stop?

I'll be right back... I gotta go check it again

ok

Were you able to run the test sir?

Ron, ASE Certified Technician