Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Key is stuck in ignition and battery is dead. Cant open hood…

Customer Question
Key is stuck in...

Key is stuck in ignition and battery is dead

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Cant open hood without key and dont have a spare battery is definetly dead

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2011 ford transit connect

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Transit Connect yourself? What have you tried so far?

Wiggling steering wheel and key. Gears move in and out of park/neutral with no problem

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
11/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Ford technician and would be happy to assist you with this.

What you are experiencing is a common headache with these models. The key needs battery power to get released from the cylinder, and as you said you cannot even get to the battery without having the key, very frustrating.

What I've had to do when dealing with this is disassemble the steering cowl covers and find the key cylinder release switch, if you pop in the release switch it will pull out the whole cylinder and allow you to remove the key.

Let me know if you have any more questions throughout the process :)