Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 ford mustang basic 3.8 v6 the rear brakes do…

Customer Question
I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 ford mustang basic 3.8 v6 the rear brakes do not work and I am unable to get them to bleed

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?

2000 miles and I just put new callipers and new brake pads all around car front brakes bleed just fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am getting a little bit of fluid to come out of the bleeder valve but not much

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

If you close all bleeder valve and then pump the breaks up and open the brake line to the rear brakes at the master cylinder do you get good pressure and or any signs of air?

No air I get good pressure but back wheels still spin with brake pedal pressed

Have you inspected the break ling going back to the rear to make sure its not damage along the way causing a restriction?

I don't see any damage

Well if you have good pressure at the Master you should also get good pressure at the rears if there are no restrictions. Have you tried opening the bleeder and letting it gravity bleed for a bit and then try re-bleeding both sides?

I was reading in the Ford mechanic manual it sad becarfull not to get air in lines or won't be able to bleed them from home
I losened the front lines at the abs and fluid came out there but no fluid came out when I did the same to the rear

Normally there is no issue with bleeding them at home as far as the regular bleeding goes but in some case id they do not bleed properly then you will need a scan tool do do this. Another thing that you can try before you consider having to scan bleed then is try using a vacuum bleeder.

I tried a vacume bleeder it got some fluid but I am not getting a good flow I am thinking it leads me back to the abs unit

Okay if you are sure you have no restrictions then you are likely right and are going to need a scanner to bleed them . If you have access to the scanner follow the steps in the link below. If not then you are going to need to have it done .

With ABS, bleed the base brake system then connect a Scan tool to the DLC. Access the brake bleeding function of the Scan tool and follow the instructions on the screen. Disconnect the Scan tool and bleed the base brake system again.

what will the scan tool do for me

It will activate the ABS pump to clear any trapped air in the system.