Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just purchased a 2005 E150 cargo van. My batterywas

Customer Question
Hello, I just purchased...

Hello, I just purchased a 2005 E150 cargo van

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cargo yourself? What have you tried so far?

My batterywas flickering a bit

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Didn’t think much of it my van completely shut off on me while running

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I put a new battery in the van today and the light still flickered and on a test run up the street it died on me again

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
Please help
11/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

So far it looks like your alternator may not be charging the battery. Do you own a volt meter so we can do some testing to figure this out?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I have a battery electric charger with a built in voltage meter

We can ty that but I doubt the outcome on the charger will be as effective as a hand held volt meter.

While running what is the battery voltage?

11.5 is what the meter reads
I also wanted to ask is it possible it can be some type of fuse or electrical problem?

While running the battery should have 13-15 volts so it is for sure not charging. Testing the alternator though we need a volt meter to do that, to check each wire to it.

I grab one from autozone later on in the afternoon and I will let you know when I have it so we can continue

That will be great

Thanks for ur time and have a great night

You are welcome