Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I own a 2013 Ford Kuga TF. there is a sound in the centre of…

Customer Question
Hi, I own a...

Hi, I own a 2013 Ford Kuga TF. there is a sound in the centre of the car, underneath. i have had it looked at and they say its the centre bearing. if this is replaced does the whole shaft need replacing?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '13 Ford?

Ambiente AWD TF

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I bought the car second hand amth ago, and this sound formed within two wks, the dealer doesn't want a bar of it so i took it to my own mechanic who said the centre bearing NEEDS replacing as he said that's where the sound is coming from.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
If i replaced the centre bearing, does the whole shaft have to be replaced?
I should explain that the sounds is the sound a bearing makes when it is on its way out.
Like a waaaa waaaa waaa not the sound a baby makes.
It sounds like the front of the car to beguin with. But once up on the hoist the sounds was the centre of the car.
Bearing showed some red “dust”, which I was told is a sign of an old bearing.
11/20/2017
Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd agree the this sounds like that the propshaft either has a worn joint or the centre bearing is worn or its out of balance

you can easily check for for any slack in the propshaft joints by twisting either half by hand and feeling for any play as there should be virtually none

the centre bearing is quite loosely mounted so this can be moved normally but if you can run the car in gear with the wheels off the ground and then feel the centre bearing housing for vibration if there's any then consider replacing the unit

and then look along the propshaft for any signs of a missing balance weight as these take the form of little 3/4" squares that are welded onto the shaft - as they are only tacked on they can sometimes come loose and be lost resulting in the shaft being out of balance - if a joint is worn this can also shake them loose

so if a joint is replaced its good practice to have the shaft re-balanced afterwards but you don't have to replace the whole shaft with new

Just wondering, how much would that cost?
The quote I have been given just seems astronomical.
just to confirm, it shouldn't matter that the car is in Australia?
the car is built the same way?

Hello

there should be an independent prop firm in Australia?

can you tell me your location?

as there's a couple of independents

http://www.driveshaftsaustralia.com.au/

or

http://australiancv.com.au/

or

http://www.driveline.com.au/

I'd expect to pay about £100 for new centre joint and re-balance

Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 6 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt