Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I'm new to the online questions and ancer stuff but I

Customer Question
Hey guys I'm new to...
Hey guys I'm new to the online questions and ancer stuff but I swapped a motor in my 1997 ford expadition that had a 4.6l and I installed a 2003 5.4l i did not keep the cop ignition I used what came with the truck so I could use the same on and wireing harness I'm about 90%into this swap and can not get it to start I seen spark and fule at the rail and my pump turns on and I have the right key it trys hard to start and is a most their but its not starting any ideas or help would be awesome thanks .
Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Ford
11/19/2017
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 28 days ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Are you using all of the original wire harness for the truck with the 5.4? Are you using the two valve or 3 valve 5.4?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I'm using all the wireing that came with the 1997 4.6l only 2 sensors had to be modified to plug in and that's something I,could not tell as far as I know its a 2003 5.4l I took out of a rolled expadition its wanting to start supddering taking over from the starter but not going all the way

What sensors did you have to modify and how did you modify them?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I had to do something with the kock sensor I believe it is its under the intake in the valley pan runs to the back I cut it off the old harness and just touched the wires in the plug matching to see if that. Ould make it not start I had to extend the iMac to the back and extend the oil pressure wire I dont know what else I could be missing I have the cam sensor and the crank sensor hooked up the iac and I also used the 4.6 spark plugs but brand new ones
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I also did all new gaskets on the intake water pump thermostat new starter becayse it assent cranking new battire becomeing kind of a money pit but I'm really close to haveing it I pluged in my obd2 reader and it said no codes found but it has never run in this truck

The 46 uses a duel knock sensor, where the 54 had just one knock sensor. You have to move the 46 knock sensors tot he 5.4. Now this will be a little tricky as the mounting holes are not in the 5.4. What you will have to do is use apoxy to mount them directly to each side of the block just like the 4.6 was.

You can ignor the cylinder temp sensor mounted to the drivers side front of the engine under the intake, the 4.6 did not use this sensor.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Where are the kock sensors on the 4.6 I only seen one in the valley pan and by moving them to the side of the block where would I mount them,and would I have to drill and top or what would you be referring to?

I am sorry I got the two diagrams mixed up. The 5.4 uses 2 and the 4.6 uses just the one in the center of the block. You will have to move the 4.6 sensor to the center of the 5.4 and use the cylinder temp sensor out of the 4.6 into the 5.4. If there is no mounting hole for the knock sensor, you can use a two part apoxy to mount it to the block. The bolt in the center of it just holds it inplace and does not give it a ground. There for the apoxy will do the same job as the bolt.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
what I need to do is pull the intake back off and replace the 5.4 kock sensor with the 4.6 will the kock sensor not being hooked up keep the engine from starting at all?

If you are trying to use the duel sensor of the 5.4 it will confuse the pcm and the pcm will adjust the timing to far for it to start.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
far I had only seen one under the 5.4 intake but o did not look in a few weeks the intake and,all that is back on where is the other location of the second kock sensor on the 5.4 and what other sensors would make it do this as well?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
if I pull the intake back off and get a 4.6 kock sensor in one of those locations it will make sure its getting the right timeing because its getting spark and gas for sure and dose the temp wires have to be hooked up for it to start as well?

NO. You must mount it in the same location as the 4.6 was. If there is no mounting lug to bolt it to, use apoxy to mount it there.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Okay it dose seem like it could be timeing I shot some starting fluid down their and got a big back fire not really looking forward to pulling this intake back off

I know it is a pain, but that is where you have to start.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Do you know what all sensors and such would keep it from starting I know the pc valve on the back would do so that's good and the vacume lines for sure

The vacuum would not keep it from starting, it would make it run at a high idle. Correcting the knock sensor should get it to fire up and run, as long as you have the plug wire run correctly.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Okay I will give that a go hopefully I don't resin my new gaskets or anything like that I will Probubly bye a new kock sensor but would it be the block I would be drilling into if it came down to us being it into the same location ?

DO NOT DRILL INTO ANYTHING USE APOXY TO GLUE THE SENSOR INTO PLACE

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Okay I will give that a go hopefully I don't rewin my new gaskets or anything like that I will Probubly bye a new kock sensor but would it be the block I would be drilling into if it came down to us being it into the same location ?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The sensor just sits against the block doesn't go in ?

Yes. The center bolt is just there to hold the sensor in place. Apoxy will do the same thing with out drilling into the block.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Dose the kock sensor like a heat sensor ?

The knock sensor detects knocks in the block from spark or timing issues.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
what kind of apoxy do you think would work the best

You r local auto parts store will have a veriady of apoxy based on time to cure. A 5 minute apoxy should give you enough time to apply it and set the knock sensor in place.

Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 21 days ago

Just wanted to check in on you and see how things are going.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I'm doing good intake back off and kock sensor ill get on Friday I'm doing a granny swap in my disel that is a 1991 with a e4od and I have a c6 from a 85 ford disel you think that granny will work ?

It will work, but the drive shaft will be to short. The e40d is a little bit longer then the c6. And you will have to run a linkage for the throttle control in the c6. The throttle control not only controls passing gear, but pump pressure as well.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I have the driveline out of the truck with the c6 front and back and as far as linkage goes I dont have that or know where it goes on the transmission sided of things i am running a banks turbo I hope ill be able to get the linkage around that and dose the cross member have to be moved ?

Yes it will have to be moved closer to the engine.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I was told the c6 has something to,do with shifting with vacume lines is this true and thank you for all the help it has been a huge deal to get these rigs on the road

Yes the c6 does use a vacuum modulator. So you will have to run a vacuum line to it.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
just run a vacume line to the intake ? And in your mind do you think it would be worth it to run a c6 over a e4od?

To be honest with you, NO. There is to much work and expense and the c6 is not as strong as the e4od.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
the rumors about everyone saying that the c6 is stronger is not true ?

The c6 was good for its time, and was the strongest ford made back in the day. Most of the e4od is based off of the c6. But the e4od is still stronger then the c6.

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech