Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1994 Ford F-150, 4.9L 6cyl. engine. The engine has

a miss and I am...
I have a 1994 Ford F-150, 4.9L 6cyl. engine. The engine has a miss and I am getting a 332, and a 334 code indicating EGR issues. I have changed EGR valve, which was bad, EGR position sensor, as well as the EGR solenoid and still no difference. Changed vacuum hoses, no change. No clue at this point. Need help.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Also, engine power is significantly diminished on acceleration and/or under a load
11/20/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Hi my name is***** you do a key on engine off test is the codes in memory or a hard fault. Do you get 111 first then the 332 and 334?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I do get a 111 code. Have disconnected battery for 20 min. Have driven truck a couple hundred miles with no change in function or codes.

The codes point to a clogged exhaust system like a bad catalyst. This would cause the loss of power and EGR codes for low EGR flow. Can you have the catalyst checked to see if it is blocked or rattling inside pipe indicating it is blocking exhaust flow.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Will see if I can locate someone with a gauge.

Are you talking about a gauge to measure exhaust back pressure at the O2 sensor?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I've never had a catalytic converter checked. Assuming exhaust pressure would be lowered. Am ignorant.

You can go to any exhaust shop to have the back pressure tested to see if converter is causing excessive back pressure on engine and low power and EGR codes.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok. Thanks

You are welcome.

Jaybird61
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Sorry it has taken so long to get back. Many complications.
Catalytic converters were an issue and have now been replaced. Prior to contacting you I also replaced the following: plugs, wires, distributor cap, air filter, fuel filter, ear valve, egr solenoid, egrc position sensor, and pcv valve.
I still have the miss and power is still lacking though and now I have a 334 code.

If you are getting a 334 this means the EGR sensor is reading a higher than normal voltage and this may be caused by a piece of carbon stuck in the EGR. You will need to remove the EGR and look inside to see if valve is held open partly by a piece of carbon that broke loose from engine and got in valve. This will cause rough running. For the loss of power you should recheck to see if you can advance the distributor to get more power.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Cleaned egr valve even though valve appeared clean. No change
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
The miss is constant from idle on up by the way.

Have you had the fuel injectors cleaned professionally and the fuel pressures checked to make sure it is within specifications?

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Fuel pressure checked out. Have not cleaned injectors

If you have excessive carbon buildup on the valves and injectors are partly plugged and also adjust the ignition base timing with timing plug removed to 14 degrees before top dead center will increase power.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I still have a 334 code.

Code 334 is for a problem with computer seeing the egr partly open. This can be from a stuck open egr valve or the sensor is not getting correct sensor readings to computer.

A scan of the computer data is needed to see if the computer is seeing the higher sensor reading and verify readings at sensor to see if it is in wiring or connections or sensor itself.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61