Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My wife’s 2013 Explorer traction control, abs, and decent…

Customer Question
My wife’s 2013 Explorer...

My wife’s 2013 Explorer traction control, abs, and hill decent assist warning lights are all on when the vehicle is moves. We live in Alaska. The vehicle is garaged. 78k miles new battery last year.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Just abs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

If it’s I’m my technical range. I would fix it. Checked voltage on battery and loooked at the rear speed sensor wiring.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The only thing close to this in the past was traction assist issues and stability control in winters past due to the weather nothing thawing it out in the garage didn’t fix.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Ford
11/19/2017
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 7 months ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** than likely either a wheel speed sensor or wiring has faulted, a test on the ABS system will tell for sure and it will also help pinpoint where the problem is originating from. Has the ABS system been tested for trouble codes?

It has not been tested. No codes or warning till now.

Other than a visual inspection of all the sensors and wiring for obvious damage is first, followed by a self test for trouble codes, there are literally hundreds of possibilities that could cause these lights to come on. Can you get the ABS system tested? Have you jacked the vehicle up and inspected the wiring closely?

I did a visual on all 4 sensors did an ohms test on them fronts ran 8.9 rear was 10 except right rear a .7 so I’m ordering right rear sensor.

O​k, testing the sensors takes a special tester since these are hall effect type sensors and not reluctance sensors. But let me know if that fixes your problem, thanks for the reply.

Local dealer had a rear abs sensor. It tested 10.0 ohmes. Replaced the Right rear all is well. All systems good.

Awesome good find.

If you have any more questions just ask, thanks Scott