Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

No power steering on ford escape SE 2013. It states I have a…

No power steering on...

No power steering on ford escape SE 2013 . It states I have a steering something failure...Any chance this is under warranty...so much is wrong with this car!

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

I tried turning the car on and off and it didnt reset...I have also lost the radio display in the last few weeks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

No...I didn't know if I should have it towed to a ford dealer or to a mechanic...I guess it depends if it is under warranty..dealer tends to be more expensive

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

11/19/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately due to the year of this model it doesnt sound to be under warranty anymore.To make sure though you can contact a dealer by phone with your vehicles VIN number and they can check this to see if there is any warranty on it but I dont suspect there is unfortunately.

The warning is to let you know a fault is detected with one of the power steering components.This can be a fault with the power steering control module itself or motor as these can fail and causes this issue here.The fault codes have to be checked with a fully compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers in your model to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault.This has to be done to locate the issue.It is best diagnosed by a shop or dealer that has the correct scan tool to read all computers in your model.But these are the common faults for this unfortunately.

If the radio still works but you have no display this sounds like the display itself at fault needing replaced.This was a common issue as well with it needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Any idea of how much these repairs should run?

I would say the diagnosis charge would be around $100 and repair costs will vary depending on if this is the control module or motor at fault.It may run anywhere from $350 to over $700 in most cases.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician