Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2006 Explorer has not shut off on me twice. Once at idle…

Hello. My 2006 Explorer...

Hello. My 2006 Explorer has not shut off on me twice. Once at idle and the other while making a left turn on a very busy intersection.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

V8, 157,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything yet. Both times I placed the vehicle in park and restarted. It restarted with no issues.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is it. But it looks like others are having the same issue. A little concerned for my family's safety.

11/19/2017
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Is the check engine light on?

Does the engine run ok other than the stalling at low speeds?

Would you like me to list some possible causes?

No check engine. Yes it does run okay. And yes I would like some assistance.

Sure thing. I will be happy to help.

One moment while I type up your reply.

I prefer to communicate through this chat line.

Ok..

The most common cause for this stalling condition would be..

• Air/vacuum leak
  • Mass air flow sensor
  • Faulty/dirty throttle body assembly
  • Throttle position sensor
  • Ignition coil (back feeding into the PCM)

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Does this occur more at idle and when speeding up/RPM?

YES Sir that is correct.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN