Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1993 ford escort 1.9 motor, no spark or fuel press, No, it…

Customer Question
1993 ford escort 1.9...

1993 ford escort 1.9 motor, no spark or fuel press

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No, it does not start just cracks, or have replaced the crack senor and the coil pack

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escort yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just answered that

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It just died going down the road and I have no spark or fuel pressure and crack sensor and coil pack. And the fuel pump

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
Have checked spark on all plugsides and used a noid light to check injectors and nothing. And had a fuel pressure gauge and no pressure and the pressure pump is new
11/19/2017
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 5 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Most often this is due to a bad ignition control module. The ignition control module is mounted to the inner fender just behind the battery. Your local auto parts store can test it for you to make sure it is bad.

Is there anyway I can test it. Now with a volt meter or something

I am sorry but no. You have to have a machine that can add grounds and positive power in reversible order.

You can however check all the fuses just to make sure they all have 12 volts to them with the ignition switch in the run position.

Could there any way it could be something else
Is there a fuse or relay that can go bad before it

I do not see any one fuse that would knock out the injectors , spark and fuel pump with out knocking out other things like the lights radio, and ignition switch.

with the coil and the crack senor replace and there not being any spark or fuel pressure that the only thing it could be

It is the most common. The pcm could be bad, but it is rare for them to go bad.

The pcm has to get a signal from the ignition module to get the pcm to power up the injectors, coils as well as the fuel pump. If the pcm was bad, you would loose one or maybe two of these, but not all three. There for the most likely part to be bad would be the ignition module.

I replaced the ICM and it fired and ran for about 4 seconds tired to restart it and still no spark or fuel pressure
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 4 months ago

Do you have a digital volt meter and a test light so we can do some testing?

At the coil you have three wires, blue, gray with a yellow strip, and brown with a red strip. See if you have 12 volts on the blue wire please with the ignition switch in the run position.

Ok I will check it later to day when I get home

Chat with you when you get home.

I have 12.45 volts on the blue wire

Please give me a time and date when you will be able to do the testing, and be online with me so we can go over each step so we can find and fix this problem,

Tonite around 630 Pacific time

I will be here.

What is a test I can do
I have 12.45 at the coil wire you were talking about

Please give me just a couple of minutes. I will be right back.

Sorry about that, I was with another customer. Do you have a test light and a paper clip so we can do some testing as well as your digital volt meter?

At the injectors there is a red wire, see if you have 12 volts to that wire with the ignition switch in the run position please.

Ok, checking now
I have 12.35 volts at the injectors

With the ignition switch in the run position, pull the fuel pump relay out and see if you have 12 volts in the fuse box pins please. There should be two pins with 12 volts on them.

12.35 is the volts

Did you have 12 volts to two of the pins?

I did

Each test I ask you to do is very important. If you do not understand a test, let me know. Guessing is not an option, as this will only cost you time and money. If you tell me the wrong information for any of the test, I will come to the wrong solution to your problem. So it is very important that you fully understand the tests I ask you to do.

The next test is going to be a little hard to do, so it is best if you remove the crank sensor so we can test it. Do you have a vise or a helper that can hold the crank sensor?

What am I doing with the crank sensor

You will need to hold the sensor still, set your meter to ohms, and hold a test lead to each of the pins in the sensor plug. Then run a metal object over the tip and see if the ohms readings changes. You can lightly tap the tip with a screw driver to see if the sensor is good or not.

Good thing I already had the tire off and the car Jack up
But with the VM hooked to it and moving a metal object in front of it, it does move

Set your meter back to dc volts, hole the black lead top a good ground and test all the fuses in the fuse boxes on both sides and tell me what fuse have no power, or only have power to one side with the ignition switch in the run position.

The one under the dash or the one under the hood

Both please.

Ok it may take a few. And I and taking that I need to pull the fuses out to check it right

no. Leave the fuses in the fuse box, there is a metal piece that sticks up through the top edges, This is what you will test with the red test lead.

Ok

Ty

I did check both sides of the fuses and and they are read between 12.13-12.55 volts

So all the fuses have power on both sides?

sir
Why after I changed the ICM it started and ran for a few seconds but
Will not run now, and it's doing the same thing

You either have a bad icm, or the computer is going bad. It is not unheard of to get a new icm that is bad. Did you have the parts store test the old on?

They said the had not way of testing it

Where did you go?

Oreilys. And I called a couple other places and the said they can not test them. You really them the PCM be bad

At this point, I would take the icm back and have the replace it. I hate to condemn a pcm. But all the tests say icm or pcm. With it running on the new icm, I have to lean more to a bad icm.

after I put the new ICM in I bought and everything up and started it it started and ran for about a few seconds then it died then I then I started it again and it ran for a few seconds and then it won't start. So do you think that the ICM that they ordered me was bad the new ones bad should I put the old one back in and try it again is there anyway I can check the PCM to see if it's bad

Put the old icm back in and lets see if it will start. Yes it is very possible that the new icm is bad. I am sorry to say the pcm cannot be tested.

Ok the crank sensors put back in the old ICM put back in and I still and it still just cranks but not starts and still no spark or fuel pressure

Have them warranty out the icm and get a new one.

I call them first thing in the morning the last time it took 3 days to get one so as soon as I get another one and I'll let you know
One last thing so there's not a like a relay or a fuse or a fuse link or something like that that maybe his bad or something like that
Oh and just to let you know I did pull the timing chain cover and all that stuff and the the crank and the timing belt and all that stuff does turn and the battery is fully charged 12.45 volts

NO. If there where, you would have had fuses that did not have power to them.

the only problem I see with that is is that there was only one fuse that says fuel injector fuse and it was a 30 amp fuse and that was really the only thing everything else was like winkers heater and all that stuff in the fuel injector fuse was asked was actually in the fuse panel underneath the hood that's why I asked but as soon as I get a new ICM I'll let you know

The problem you have is the pcm is not telling the fuel pump to come on, nor is it telling the coil to fire. With the car starting and running with the new icm, I do not believe that the pcm is bad.

I got a new ICM attached still doing the same thing could it could it be the eec relay

If the eec relay was bad, you would not have voltage tot he coil.

Did it start at all this time when you installed the new icm?

No just crack no start. No spark or fuel pressure
Ok, on the sec relay

Are you at a point where we can do some testing?

Ok on the eec relay, but I went back and checked all the things you had me check before and they're all still good
Tonight when I get home I can do some more but right now I'm not at home with the car I can do testing then

Let me know when you get home and I will go over the testing. You will need to have access to the computer plug as that is where we will be testing.

Ok
kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech