Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 99 Ford Expedition that has a coolant leak off of…

Hello Pearl, I have...

Hello Pearl, I have a 99 Ford Expedition that has a coolant leak off of the coolant pipe that runs under the intake manifold. After I removed the old pipe I noticed that the leak was in fact coming from the nipple that the steel pipe attaches too. There are 2 o rings on the nipple and the the one that sits as the most forward position, the slot and rusted through. Is there a repair for this issues? Thanks Isaac

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

That is all getting replaces and is not the problem. The nipple coming off of the back of the water pump housing is rusted through. I read on a YouTube video that there is a repair sleeve that Ford offers. Is this true and if so where can I get one?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. I know what the issue is. Just need my question answered if you could please.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing Thank you

11/19/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Can you send a few non blurry pictures of the part your talking about ?

The nipple is on the back side of the water pump housing. If there is a sleeve repair option (which I read about), could I please get the part number and and idea or where to get it? Appreciate your help...

can you send a expanded view that shows that with the surrounding parts, I think I know what your talking about I just want to make sure I have the right thing in mind

thanks looking now for kit

I could have sworn there was a kit for this but there are 2 options, and the kit you will just have to put together, 1st is to install a hose with pipe clamps as shown in the picture whch is what most shops and people do, and 2nd if its so pitted and corroded to install the hose fix is to drill it out, tap it and thread a coolant nipple in there with a fitting like this,

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all99312?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-allstar-performance&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0b_QBRCeARIsAFntQ9p4eNthqgIRjIMMhcEBvk9Lea4t3dLN2q5PKU5MjX5xM5IuH7TCsqsaAjolEALw_wcB

I have the hose and clamps and was planning on trying that option. If it does not last I will go with the treaded pipe fitting option. Really appreciate the help. Thank Shawn..

Sure thing!

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me nothing less than a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician