Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Put a new alternator on and it won't charge still. 95

Put a new alternator on...
Put a new alternator on and it won't charge still
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 95 Mustang GT 5.0
JA: Are you fixing your Mustang GT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: For the wife
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/18/2017
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Have you checked fuse ALT 20amp in the engine compartment fuse box?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
fuses okay

Ok fuse 18 inside the car needs to be good also. Can you check that one as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I checked and okay

ok. At the alternator with the key ON, do you have power at the black/orange wire, and the yellow/white wire?

What did you find?

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal. The website will ask you for a phone call. Feel no obligation to accept, unless you feel it will help you. We can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return. Be sure to please take a quick moment and rate my assistance by clicking the stars above. Thank you for rating and for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry wife got me tied up
Ok. Are you going to get back at checking the mustang?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Check the wires yellow wires got power to it but when I start the car and gray wire two single wire that comes out of the alternator there is no power coming out of
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have power going to the alternator just no power coming out

WHen the car is running what is the voltage at the big wire, battery cable, at the alternator?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got powered to the alternator in big wire aND the yellow wire but she tg car is running nou power coming out of the gray wire
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, do you still need assistance?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can u see what asked the other help I had

yes,ok, the voltage at the battery while the engine is running is what?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
10

ok, let me look at a wiring diagram and ill be back with you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have power to the alternator from the battery in the big wire and the yellow wire but no power coming out at the other two wires
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it's a brand-new alternator

first of all with your battery at 10 volts, you need either a new battery or charge that one. we need a battery that stays ar 12.5vdc when the engine isn't running.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I get 14 v when setting and when I started it goes to 10
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Checked all the fuses and all the fuses have power to him and working

14 volts when not running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
when not running

thats not right. thats too high

have you checked the 2 fusible links?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was using a voltage meter and that could have been off on the voltage of the battery in my tab in 12 or 13 and all the fuses was okay

what about the fusible links? you know they are wires and not regular fuses right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I didn't know where are they

ok, they should be close to the battery. they are thicker rubbery wires.

near the fuse box

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It looks good it's not blistered and I get power on the other side of the link

ok, standby

do you have power on the black/orange wire at the alternator?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My phone died and it got wet and had to let it dry and no no power to wire
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I replace all the wires and can it be the wiring harness or the computer

the computer has nothing to do with the charging system on the '95

you may want to replace the alternator harness.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will try that thank you and Happy Thanksgiving I'll let you know what happened

it has to be the issue. there's nothing else to it. happy thanksgiving to you also

hows it going

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was going do it today ate something that wasn't good or something yesterday and was sick last night just getting around and go try it out pulled another wire off another ford with the same plugs on it and try that or is that not good idea

go ahead and try it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tried the other wire and didn't work so I took the alternator off the other car but it was v6 but same alternator the wife didn't want me to because she thought it would fry it and I took the chance and it worked charging now two bad alternators from orileys
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank u for all the help

you always think its possible for 1 bad one, but 2? wow. start buying parts from napa or advance. anyways I'm glad it is fixed. Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank u I might need your help on another project all I have is ford's

ok. let me know

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic