Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I’m not getting power to my 56 fuse in the engine

compartment I have a 2013...
I’m not getting power to my 56 fuse in the engine compartment I have a 2013 Ford f350
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The truck was running fine as I hooked it up to my trailer then when I went to start it up nothing comes on no ignition radio lights interior light
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/18/2017
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Just Answer may send you a phone call request on my behalf. Feel free to not accept this unless you want a phone call. If you decline there will be no additional charges.

Did you check for power on fuse 56 with the key in the ON position?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
there’s no voltage to either side of the fuse

That fuse is one of many that is powered by the run/start relay. Check fuses 55, 54 and 53 for power as well.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
No power to any of those

Ok. CHeck fuse 45 10amp.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ihave power there

Ok. You might have a bad run/start relay or wiring that is not allowing power to get to it from the fuse. The relay is in position 48 in the fuse box, can you locate it?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Can it be checked with an ohm meter

No. What you need to do is to remove the relay, and with the key on, you should have power on terminals 1 and 3 in the fuse box. The relay should be marked to tell you what terminals are what.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok I have power on 1 and 3

With the key on, you should have ground on terminal 2. That is from the body control module. It grounds the relay when the key is on to supply power to various fuses.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Just a side note the panel lamps and radio lights behind the knobs are staying on with the doors shut

That could be side effect of no power to certain fuses.

ALso have you checked all the fuses in the interior fuse box as well?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I have
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Maybe it’s the relay?

it is possible. but if the interior fuse box, is not grounding the relay it will not turn on.

try swapping it with relay 102 which is trailer tow charging relay

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok

Let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Nothing

You need to see if you have ground at terminal 2 of the relay with the key on.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok is there a better way of checking a ground

Are you using a test light or a volt meter?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I have both

Ok, Put the test light lead on positive of the battery. Then check for ground on terminal 2. If the test light lights, then you have a ground.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok checking it now

ok

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok I do not have a ground

Ok. WIth no ground the relay can not activate to send power to the other fuses. When you turn the key ON, does the theft light on the dash blink rapidly, or come on for 3 seconds then turn off?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
No nothing comes on at all

Im going to look at some more wiring diagrams, but it sounds like you have a fuse that is out somewhere.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Alright

DId you check the fuses in the high current fuse box? It is under the hood on the passenger side. Small little fuse box with mega fuses in it.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
No I didn’t know there was a fuse panel on that side
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I’m looking for it now
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Is it on the fender well

It is more near the battery. Is this deisel or gas?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Diesel

Ok. Check the high current fuses.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok I’m
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok I have checked those and they have current going to them
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I found the problem the negative cable on the driver side battery was laying across the positive terminal and the last time we jumped something off we didn’t put the positive cover over it and it had shorted out thank you for you help

Ok. Glad you found it. Your welcome. Please take a quick second to rate my assistance with the stars above. Thank you.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician