Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I’m not getting power to my 56 fuse in the engine

I’m not getting power...

I’m not getting power to my 56 fuse in the engine compartment I have a 2013 Ford f350

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The truck was running fine as I hooked it up to my trailer then when I went to start it up nothing comes on no ignition radio lights interior light

11/18/2017
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Just Answer may send you a phone call request on my behalf. Feel free to not accept this unless you want a phone call. If you decline there will be no additional charges.

Did you check for power on fuse 56 with the key in the ON position?

there’s no voltage to either side of the fuse

That fuse is one of many that is powered by the run/start relay. Check fuses 55, 54 and 53 for power as well.

No power to any of those

Ok. CHeck fuse 45 10amp.

Ihave power there

Ok. You might have a bad run/start relay or wiring that is not allowing power to get to it from the fuse. The relay is in position 48 in the fuse box, can you locate it?

Can it be checked with an ohm meter

No. What you need to do is to remove the relay, and with the key on, you should have power on terminals 1 and 3 in the fuse box. The relay should be marked to tell you what terminals are what.

Ok I have power on 1 and 3

With the key on, you should have ground on terminal 2. That is from the body control module. It grounds the relay when the key is on to supply power to various fuses.

Just a side note the panel lamps and radio lights behind the knobs are staying on with the doors shut

That could be side effect of no power to certain fuses.

ALso have you checked all the fuses in the interior fuse box as well?

I have
Maybe it’s the relay?

it is possible. but if the interior fuse box, is not grounding the relay it will not turn on.

try swapping it with relay 102 which is trailer tow charging relay

Ok

Let me know what happens.

Nothing

You need to see if you have ground at terminal 2 of the relay with the key on.

Ok is there a better way of checking a ground

Are you using a test light or a volt meter?

I have both

Ok, Put the test light lead on positive of the battery. Then check for ground on terminal 2. If the test light lights, then you have a ground.

Ok checking it now

ok

Ok I do not have a ground

Ok. WIth no ground the relay can not activate to send power to the other fuses. When you turn the key ON, does the theft light on the dash blink rapidly, or come on for 3 seconds then turn off?

No nothing comes on at all

Im going to look at some more wiring diagrams, but it sounds like you have a fuse that is out somewhere.

Alright

DId you check the fuses in the high current fuse box? It is under the hood on the passenger side. Small little fuse box with mega fuses in it.

No I didn’t know there was a fuse panel on that side
I’m looking for it now
Is it on the fender well

It is more near the battery. Is this deisel or gas?

Diesel

Ok. Check the high current fuses.

Ok I’m
Ok I have checked those and they have current going to them
I found the problem the negative cable on the driver side battery was laying across the positive terminal and the last time we jumped something off we didn’t put the positive cover over it and it had shorted out thank you for you help

Ok. Glad you found it. Your welcome. Please take a quick second to rate my assistance with the stars above. Thank you.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician