Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It’s kind of hard to start & idles rough at first then will…

Customer Question
It’s kind of hard...

It’s kind of hard to start & idles rough at first then will idle excellent but when I put into gear and give it gas it sputters and hesitates and wants to stall the more pedal the more it wants to die it’s not the filter just changed

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

No but that is one of the codes I’m also getting manifold absolute pressure and maf codes this has been a month long [email protected]&!ing it started with a no crank no start issue and I replaced fuel pump, filter, driver mod then it went to a inch of other codes . I’ve replaced ignition switch , not the key switch the multi purpose switch , starter, cam poss sensor . Plugs coils ,even etc. I’m beginning to think only a gal of gas and a match will fix it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2004 F150 lariat 4.6 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes , everything I’m outta ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It keeps throwing different codes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 2 days by:
11/21/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have not had an exhaust back pressure test done this needs done to see if there is excessive back pressure in the exhaust system due to a restricted catalytic converter.The back pressure should not exceed 1.5 psi at any time.If it does then the catalytic converter system usually needs replaced.You can sometimes rent a back pressure tester from a local parts store to do this testing.If this was already checked let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hey Pete understand the delay ok let me start from the beginning. This started over a month ago , I’m headed to wrk truck running good my check eng light was on with lean codes to o2 sensors but it ran good anyway I stopped to p/u parts I come out went to start the truck the eng turned over like it was going to start I let off the key it didn’t start so I turned key again got nothing I thought maybe the starter but wouldn’t start from solenoid either didn’t have power to starter so I got a jump it started but was really hard to keep running and altimately stalled out had towed home &put reader on it it read 28 codes all electronic circuit codes and the security light blinking fast with check gauges reading on the display I read up on symptoms found fuel pump driver module error replace module , pump, filter still runs like crap throwing cam position sensor circuit ,maf circuit,pedal position circuit,egr out of test range absolute manifold pressure circuit,malfunctions I have replaced cam pos sensor even starter plugs ,coils mass air flow sensor all the relays etc it is hard to start when you first turn the key it back fire through the intake but will start if I give a little throttle till it warms up it will idle pretty good every now and then rpms will drop to almost stall or slightly raise I’ve looked for vacuum leaks etc cannot find any i went back after it would idle good to check exhaust out of pipes I can’t find back pressure tester also I’m reading rich on bank 1 o2 & lean on bank 2 I’m ready to light a match

Unfortunately this is a tough one to diagnose from here for me with all that is going on.It may be the engine computer itself at fault here causing all of these issues but I would hate to say that and be incorrect.Let me see if anyone else here can assist further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 8 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Have you checked all the fuses? Inside and under the hood?

replaced all the relays I just checked them again and found that my alternator is putting out 14 volts all the fuses are reading the same

If you clear the codes and then cycle the key a few times, without starting it, and then recheck for codes do any come back?

I will try and get back to you
Only p1000 code until I start and then p1000,p1127p1280p1408p1550p1703p1780p2197

Those codes relate to issues during a key on engine off or key on engine running self test.

Key on eng running
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

From all information and thread comments to this point I would say the engine has jumped time on one bank of cylinders. The fuel trims being biased one bank to the other is a telltale sign that the valve timing is off on one bank, either from failed tensioner, chain guide etc... that's about the only thing that will cause fuel trims to be biased bank to bank. A plugged cat could do the same but should not have cam sensor codes.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.