Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Looking for a source for piston rings for my 3.0 Duratec in…

Customer Question
Looking for a source...

Looking for a source for piston rings for my 3.0 Duratec in my 2002 Mazda MPV

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Mazda MPV. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I don't think so. VIN on the car is JM3LW28A920317970

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
11/18/2017
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 10 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Do you need standard bore rings, or over sized?

I need information about both. What is the standard size? What is the step 1 oversize? And what type of rings to buy, since they make them in many types.
A reliable source and/or manufacturer for the rings for this application.

If you want to go with over sized rings, you have to send the block to the machine shop and have the cylinders bored as well as install new over sized pistons. Rings come in 10, 20, 30 thousandths over sized from stock as well as a stock ring. If all you need is a stock set of rings, here is a link to ebay where you can get a set for $40.00. https://www.ebay.com/itm/96-11-Ford-Lincoln-Mazda-Mercury-3-0L-Duratec-DOHC-Piston-Rings-Set-VIN-1-S-G/301908157522?fits=Year%3A2002%7CMake%3AMazda%7CModel%3AMPV&hash=item464b20e452:g:0NcAAOSwoudW9DZr&vxp=mtr

If you want to get them from a place that you can get more parts from such as gaskets, bearings, pistons or any of your internal parts, I use, http://www.northernautoparts.com/

thank you. I've had machine shop work done, so I am familiar. I notice on the Ebay listing that it says VIN code "S". But my VIN doesn't have an "S" in it. VIN: JM3LW28A920317970. What's the word on this?
On eBay, when I plug in the info for the MPV it says "This part is not compatible with 2002 Mazda MPV LX Standard Passenger Van 3-Door 3.0L 2968CC 181Cu. In. V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated". It says it's not compatible.
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 9 months ago

Just wanted to check in on you and see how things are going. Did you find the rings you needed?