Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Installed new fuel pump and still will not start. The only…

Customer Question
Installed new fuel pump...

Installed new fuel pump and still will not start. The only difference is that the old pump had 7 pins and the new has 8 pins

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

Original

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2003 ford exployer limited v6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, just tried turning it over, gas gauge works

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/18/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 8 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name isCustomerand I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you.

Does the new fuel pump run when cranking it over?

Does the engine have fuel pressure while cranking?

it sounds like it is turning over. Not sure about fuel pressure

Got it!

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

i meant to say that it sounds like it is turning on

Got it! Thank you for that information.

Does the engine run on starting fluid?

have not tried to use starting fluid

Got it!

If the engine is cranking over but not starting, you need to see what it is missing. Spark, fuel and or compression.

Chances are it is a fuel or spark issue preventing it from starting but you will need to check and confirm this.

If the engine runs on starting fluid, then we need to check the fuel pump operation and installation. Maybe we have the wrong pump or maybe the fuel pump was installed incorrectly.

Maybe the fuel pump circuit has an issue or maybe it is not even related to the fuel system at all. It could be a no spark condition caused by a faulty crank sensor or computer issue. Just be sure to check all fuses as well.

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

the old pump has 7 pin connectors and the new pump has 8. The extra wire is brown if that helps

no

Ok, no problem.

Do you have any further questions sir?

did you see my pin question up the thread

YES, do you see my answer?

If so, does that answer your question?

If not, please let me know what else I may assist you with.

I did not see the answer
If the engine is cranking over but not starting, you need to see what it is missing. Spark, fuel and or compression. Chances are it is a fuel or spark issue preventing it from starting but you will need to check and confirm this. If the engine runs on starting fluid, then we need to check the fuel pump operation and installation. Maybe we have the wrong pump or maybe the fuel pump was installed incorrectly. Maybe the fuel pump circuit has an issue or maybe it is not even related to the fuel system at all. It could be a no spark condition caused by a faulty crank sensor or computer issue. Just be sure to check all fuses as well. Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 7 months ago

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>