Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

U1010. 2006 f250. It all. Nope\

Customer Question
2006 f250 Mechanic's Assistant:...

2006 f250

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It all

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
hi im getting the dtc u1010 on my 2006 ford f250 .. which i understand is lost comm with TCM .. the truck wont even crank with the key i have to get out and put 12v directly to the starter power wire?? also when the truck does run for the few blocks that it will it will only drive in what seems to be 5th gear??? but then will randomly shut down?? and then it takes sooo much starting fuid and damn near draning the batteries completly to get it to start again?? this all started after i replaced / rebuilt my FICM close to a week ago .. since then i have disconncetd my batt cables and cross the terminals to drain the batt pwr from the capacitors to no avail .. now i have since completly removed my pcm.. and i am now about to go plug it BACK IN and see if that has done anything ????
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/18/2017
Ford Mechanic: Scott W., Ford Technician replied 10 months ago
Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** module produced the u1010 code? I can't find that code anywhere in the master dtc chart.

Hi scott I apologize it's actually u0101 lost comm. With Tcm?
hi scott i apologize its actually u 0101 lost communication with tcm??

O​k thanks, ***** ***** no pinpoint test for this code, it says clear the code and if it returns replace the PCM, before you do that, try disconnecting the fan clutch connector on top of the fan shroud, I have seen these short out and cause the engine not to crank. Sometimes the wiring to the fan clutch gets shorted out or even ripped apart.

By a bad fan clutch.

If you can get me your VIN I can check for known concerns for your truck.

Sure Scott give me just one second

I don't see any TSB's or SSM's for this concern, if the fan clutch wiring looks good, the connectors to the ficm are good and secure, remove the connectors to the PCM and inspect and reconnect, if the code comes back, you will need to replace the PCM and retest.

Will reflashing the PCM do any good?

I​ really doubt that will do anything. Did the wiring to the fan clutch look ok? Specifically the wiring inside the shroud, it can be difficult to see.

Try disconnecting the fan clutch connector and see if it cranks.

Well plugging my ocm back in did the trick of getting my transmission to respond but as far as starting it with the key no luck and where is the connector for the fan clutch located at on these?

Located on top of fan shroud towards the engine side.

Yes

You said un plug it in and see if it will start with the key?

yes

OK give me a min and I will check It out

ok

Any luck?

What happened?