Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just replaced the alternator and battery in my 1999 Ford…

Customer Question
Just replaced the alternator...

Just replaced the alternator and battery in my 1999 Ford Windstar. The engine turns over, but never ignites. Any ideas? '

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

The engine does crank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Windstar yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The plastic clip on one of the electrical connectors broke while i was removing the old alternator (I'm obviously a novice and don't know what it's called).

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/18/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So with the connector you can take that to your local auto prts store and have them match it up, if they dont have anything the junk yeard is a good place to look, that connectors could be on several ford models, and last but not least the dealer will have it

ok, that's easy enough. Would that broken clip on that connector impact the engine's ability to ignite?

depending on the connector, can you send a few non blurry pictures of the connector and where it plugs into

if thats the broken connector that wouldnt cause it to not start, ok have you checked fuel and spark yet? do you have a check engine or security light on?

I have a quarter tank of gas. No check engine light. I do not know how to check the spark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UyxRc2lCvk

here is a video on how to check spark

ok, looks like i'm getting spark.
The van has been sitting for about a month and a half. I don't know that's a helpful thing to know.
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago

I would check fuel pressure next you may just have bad fuel, also try spraying starter fluid or carb cleaner in the intake to see if kicks off

hows it coming?