Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1993 Ford Ranger XLT that I thought had a dead

battery. When I tried to...
I have a 1993 Ford Ranger XLT that I thought had a dead battery. When I tried to "jump" it The gauges and power seemed to come up then I heard a kind of whirring sound and all power died. Could it be the positive battery cable? The reason I ask is because the cable looks fried at the battery terminal end.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: I have not checked it and yes I have changed it before. The battery id 3 years old. If it was the battery it should be able to be jumped.
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes fixing it myself. Just started checking things out and looking at the "simplest" fixes first. My other thought was maybe the alternator.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How hard is it to change out a positive battery cable? I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere.
11/18/2017
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great! My name is***** am a Ford technician and would be happy to assist you with this.

If the battery terminals are corroded then this can definitely cause the issue you are experiencing. Do you have a voltmeter that we can use to measure the voltage drop?

When you say there was a 'whirring' sound, that wasn't the starter just spinning was it? If the armature fails it will not engage and it will just spin in the case

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
If the armature just spins does that mean the starter may be bad?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Calling me to listen to sounds won't help. All electrical is dead....no sounds.

Yes that would require a new starter assembly to be installed. Some people rebuild them, but being a 93 it may be hard to find a rebuild kit for it and would probably be best to just get a new assembly

Just ignore the phone call offer, the website automatically sends that to you

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
How hard is it to change out a positive battery cable?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I think ill start with the battery cable. I can't even jump it right now. Hooking up another vehicle to it ... Still no electrical activity.

Alright it sounds like you are on the right track, if there's no power even with a jump hooked up then there is probably too much resistnce in that cable at this point.

The cable is fairly easy to replace, the total labor time to replace it lists for .7hr It looks like it runs from the battery to the alternator/fusebox

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok. Thank you. I'll start there. If the cable doesn't work I'll go to the alternator and starter. Thank you for your help.

Okay great, let me know if you have anymore questions throughout the process and I will be here to help.

I would be grateful if you could take a moment to leave me a positive feedback score, as that is how I am compensated for my time :) Thank you!

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician