Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. Check suspension light on.

Customer Question
1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer...
1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. Check suspension light on. Relay and compressor changed 1 year ago. Relay pigtail is corroded and have purchased one used. Can the relay pigtail be cut and spliced?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/18/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Which relay are you splicing and do you have pictures of the damaged wires?

yes that can be cut and spliced, it will need to be soldered to retain the original wire values, or you can purchase the end pins and crimp those on and use the new harness connector and insert new pins in that assembly, the dealer sells the pins for that

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me nothing less than a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

What do you mean soldered or crimped. I saw a crimp piece at motor craft with a heat sleeve (is that what you mean by crimp?)Does the pigtail harness come as a complete unit that can be plugged in to the relay and whatever it is that it connects to at the other end?

the crimp piece butt connector your talking about will add resistance to the circuit and cause issues, so if your going to use the harness you have now the connections will need to be soldered, the pins im talking about can be crimped on the end, these are the pins that are actually in the connector, you can get new ones of these and use the connector you have now after removing the old pins, this way you dont have any splices and all new connections

Where would I buy new pins and what do I ask for? Are the pins standard size or different in each slot? Is there a special tool for removing pins and a special tool for crimping? Any videos you would recommend?

you can go to the dealer and they will have then just take the harness you have with you and they will get you the right pins, some auto parts stores carry them but thats a shot in the dark and most parts people will get confused if you ask. To get the pins out you can just use a small pick, when you get the new ones you will see how they clip in and how to get them out, and as far as videos are concerned this one below should be helpful, its focuses on ford pins and how they come apart and go together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB6KcLSCAGU

Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago

did you get the right pins?