Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My Son was driving the 99 expedition when he said all of a

sudden the radio started to...
My Son was driving the 99 expedition when he said all of a sudden the radio started to loose power. Then the instrument panel lit up like a xmas tree. Then the car died. No power at all. Battery is good, alternator is new. Fuses are all good. Except two good fuses have no power but are not blown on the bottom left corner of the fuse box inside the car. 5 amp GEM and a 30 amp on the very bottom left corner. Could this be a GEM issue?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Not consistant. The expedition is totally dead with no power
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Checked battery alternator all wires for Shorts and all fuses. Everything checks out good
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all I have so far
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

What is the battery voltage on the cables?

What is the voltage on some of the high amp fuses under the hood?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The Battery cables are ~11v with a digital multimeter. With the battery connected I'm reading the same.

Ya, that is not enough voltage. You need to have 12.6 volts. If you hook up a charger or jump start from another vehicle does this get power back to the vehicle and will it then start? Once running we can check the alternator. As of right now, GEM failure does not appear to be to blame.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Last week the voltage was 12.6v. With the same problem. Its been a week so I have a charger hooked up now. When the charger is hooked up while the cables are connected the charger cycles off and on. It's weird. Ican assure you it's not the battery. There is no electrical power at all.

At 11 volts your battery has no amps.

How many volts do you have at fuse 11 under the hood?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It reads the same under the hood

Do you have jumper cables and another vehicle?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No I don't but i can go buy some. I would like to ask, what good would that do if there isn't any power to any system in the car. All electrical systems have no power. The fuses show ok except what was mentioned in the first expaination. I did discover however that the #18 and # 15 fuse showed no power

Fuse 18 is powered with the headlights on.

Fuse 15 powers the brake switch.

These fuse are not related to nothing having power, the vehicle stalling, and the car not cranking or starting.

At 12.6 volts a battery has 100% of its available amps.

At 12.5 volts a battery has 90% of its available amps.

At 12.4 volts a battery has 8% of its available amps.

And so on. So at 11 volts you have no amps. You need amps for things to power up. A charger does things slow at low amps. A jump start will give you an immediate 600+ amps from the the other battery.

This is why I would like you to try a jump start. You battery may not be bad, just needing a charge. However right now your battery is the primary focus. There is no power in it to power up things on the vehicle. We must get 12.6 of more volts to the battery cables and go from there checking for a parasitic draw or alternator issue. Something has failed and caused your battery to be WEAK.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok I will go buy some cables and continue to charge the battery. I need to step away from the car and help my sister move. I'll buy the cables and charge the battery and then continue from there. Does that sound good to you? Thank you so much for the help so far.

Fine by me, I work 2 shifts a day here and take a break in the middle.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hello Moose, I started looking at the car again and followed the instruction of having a charged battery. After fully charging the battery I connected it and saw the alternater spark and begin to fry. So I pulled the alternator off and put another, connected the fully charged battery and behold the car lights came on and started just fine. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.:)

You are welcome

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician