Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 F350 5.4L3V that feels like it is losing power…

Customer Question
Hi- I have a...

Hi- I have a 2005 F350 5.4L3V that feels like it is losing power when accelerating from a stop. There may be a misfire.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

It is original to the truck

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried anything yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/18/2017
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 8 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

How many miles on the truck? Does it only happen from a stop or will it act up when accelerating at cruise speeds also?

Hi Kenny, I'm sorry I forgot to post the mileage. 190K . The majority of the times is from a stop. My concern is with the lack of power if I'm towing my dump trailer I'm afraid it would not make it up a hill.

When the lack of power happens does it feel like it is misfiring at that time?

To be honest I do not know what a misfire feels like. I guess my description would be it feels like it is missing therefore I would assume that is a misfire. As I Am accelerating to 30 miles and faster it feels "choppy" if that makes sense .

Reid,

That sounds just like a misfire. The spark plugs on these 3V engines are notorious for misfire under load. I would get them changed out and reevaluate.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Do the coils need to be replaced at the same time?

No, usually just the plugs.

Did you need any further assistance?