Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2013 ford e350 Can't shut off dome and cargo lights, so I…

Customer Question
2013 ford e350 Can't shut...
2013 ford e350 Can't shut off dome and cargo lights, so I can't drive my van because I can't see out windows because of the glare from the lights being on. They stay on with van running, off, locked, unlocked, turned the wheel that adjusts dash brightness all the way down. My only solution is a screwdriver and bulb removal? Also now I will need a flashlight!
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
Does info from a mechanic pop up somewhere or do I prompt it somehow? is it an interactive chat where we both know the other party is typing? How do I know when I'm supposed to be at my monitor. Also I don't have a smart phone and do't receive text messages.
11/18/2017
Ford Mechanic: mastertech29, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
mastertech29
mastertech29, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you. The first thing I would try is to clean the door jamb switches with brake clean, then spray them with WD40. Once they are cleaned and lubed open and close the doors a at least 10 times and see if gets the lights to go out. Try the rear door first, it's in a bad spot and is usually the first one to go. If that doesn't work, you will need to replace the switch. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you, Rick

thanks Rick. Next week when I can get time off during the daylight hours I will check all my switches and look into installing seperate overhead lighting like I did in my 2006 e350. when I want light I turn them on and off with a rocker switch. This 2013 van seems to have some kind of dumbass timer that was keeping the lights on and shutting them off automaticly. I just bought this van today with 19000 miles drove it home 200 miles got out and got lots of agg. I'll let you know about the cleaner and lube. thanks Tim

Ok thank you. Rick

Hey Rick, I did the brake clean followed by WD40. I used thin rubber gloves with a towel under switches. tried three times, third time I made sure to push the plugers in and out while cleaning. Still have lights on while van is running? I hate these short dark days. Since I would not want my dome lights to come on when I shut off my van letting everyone in the Home Depot parking lot a nice look at my contents I am going to not put the bulbs back in. Instead I just ordered 2 of these Maxxima M84434-A 42 LED 6.0" Three Position Hi/Off/Low Switch Inteior Dome Light 1200 Lumens. They use 1.4 amps each when turned on high. Do you think the circuit that feeds the two map lights that are built into the front dome light would handle the three amps?? Do you know if power source firsts goes through any relays or timers that would not make this possible? If so would you know if there are any spots inside van that I can add a fuse for new circuit or would I have to start by adding fuse at battery and coming through fire wall?
mastertech29
mastertech29
mastertech29, ASE Certified Technician