Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1990 ford E250 with 5.8L, fueld pressure at key turn appx…

Customer Question
1990 ford E250 with...

1990 ford E250 with 5.8L, fueld pressure at key turn appx 45psi, when running dual tank. when cold it wont start without a shot of starting fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Changed the coolant temp sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have spark when cranking, we have fuel in the rail, the injectors have voltage

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
1990 E250 5.8L won't start when cold without a shot of starting fluid.
changed the coolant temp sensor, there is 45 psi of fuel pressure at the turn of the key and 38 when running.
have spark and fuel pressure in the rail before turning the key and the injectors fire.
Answered in 1 day by:
11/19/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 5 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

I am sorry no one has responded yet. I know you must be thinking " I have been taken or this is a scam" Neither are the case. Sometimes there are more questions than we can get to and we just keep getting farther and farther behind. Sometimes what a customer asks, no experts online are confident there answer will be good enough. Is there any more information you can add to your concern or is there another concern you may have that we could answer instead?

Chris

no wheel lock feature, fuel pressure when you turn the key is 45, when it runs it's 38, have spark, injectors fire. changed the coolant temp sensor. still nothing. When you start it with starting fluid, it runs real bad but then after about 15 minutes, it's like a switch is flipped, and the check engine light goes out and it runs fine. You can shut it off and start it right back up again, it's only when it sits and seems to cool off that it won't start.

When cold does it crank to slow, have you tried a jump start to see if it will start sooner when cold from the extra starter speed from more voltage?

When cool at full throttle will it start on its own with no ether?

wont start if you press the peddle to the floor, won't start if you chock the air intake, turns over just fine without a jump

I do not believe I can figure this one out. I will opt out.

Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 5 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you checked compression in each cylinder? Low compression will cause a hard start when cold?

Ron, ASE Certified Technician