Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2010 F-150 5.4l 3v I went outside to start it and…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 2010...
Hi I have a 2010 F-150 5.4l 3v I went outside to start it and it turn over and over. I did that ten times and also cycled the key six times prior to start up. My fuel pressure is 58 psi upon trying to start the pressure would drop to 30 psi. The fuel system standing starts at 58 psi and within five minutes it would drop to 10 psi. I was told by a ford tech pressure loss should be in half within 24hrs. I also considered the crank sensor being a problem it isn’t that cause it intermittently fire with a battery charger (13.9v). I drove 800 Kms yesterday but burns more fuel than normal. My question is it the fuel pump failing?Is the bypass sticking open to loose pressure right away and not getting consistent pressure. I’ve exhausted all avenues and that’s all I can think of.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
11/17/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Ford master technician and would be happy to assist you with this.

So it sounds like you are on the right track with this. I would be suspicious of the pump losing efficiency at this point. But one other thing I have seen do this on these 5.4s is the fuel pressure regulator/sensor. If the fuel pressure is dropping it is possible the sensor is sticking/shorted. There is not a direct test for this sensor other than watching the data on the scantool and comparing the pressure % at the pump and at the sensor.

I would recommend trying the sensor before the pump, as they are only about 70-80 dollars and fairly easy to replace, that way you don't replace the pump first thing if it is not needed.

I will be online for the rest of the afternoon so let me know if you have anymore questions about it :)

Where is the sensor located this year doesn’t have one on the fuel rail is there another location where it would be
Alright I just pulled up the diagram and saw the sensor on these is built integral to the fuel pump driver module.Depending on what area you live in, the driver module is a common fault on these, it is mounted under the truck above the spare tire, over time the connections corrode away and cause a short circuit. Check that out when you have a minute and make sure it is not falling apart/corroded
Ok and if it’s not corroded and reads correct voltage what’s the next step

If the driver module is still in good shape and the pump is getting the proper voltage then it will be safe to say that the pump is losing efficiency

Hello! Any luck getting this figured out?

No such luck can’t figure it out I’m p0130,p0150, p2196, p2198

Hmm, strange, those all indicate that the engine is running rich(too much fuel)

Maybe check the air filter and make sure the mass air flow sensor is not dirty, if it gets dirty it will do all sorts of crazy things to the fuel trim

What about resetting the KAM will that help I’ve been having these issues for a couple of months now the filter is clean

Yes that would definitely be worth a shot. If the PCM has reset any of the readings it can cause the engine to idle/drive rough which could lead to fueling issues

I’ve done that too but comes back to p0130,p0150 codes after couple hundred Kms

If the problem keeps coming back and there are no leaks/intake issues then I would probably still be leaning towards the fuel driver module, I cannot say for sure unless able to monitor the data, but that is the only thing in common that would cause consistent fuel issues unless the pump is failing

Even though the truck runs you think it’s the fpcm what is the cause just curious

If they fail it can still allow the truck to run, it will just affect the driveability. Due to the mounting of them they get banged around a lot and can have failures inside of the box. The driver controls fuel output, so if it fails it can change the specification of things. Does the truck seem to burn more gas than usual?

It’s terrible actually mind you we are on winter fuel now doesn’t help the economy I have a new module haven’t installed it yet what about the o2 sensors could they be fouled

Yeah winter fuel can make things run really bad I have discovered. I doubt the O2 sensors have all fouled, but it would not take long to pull them out to inspect/clean. If they are very fouled then we know the engine is dumping too much fuel. It might be worth it to replace the spark plugs soon too if that has not been done recently

Spark plugs got done two weeks ago
Okay good to know. It seems the basics have all been eliminated. At this point then I would go back to the original idea and think it may be caused by a sporadic/failing pump. The winter fuel is a thicker mix, so it's possible the pump just does not have the power it needs anymore
Ok I’ll change the o2s and module and then do the pump last resort I’ve got a half tank of fuel in it right 68 liters in it
That sounds like a great plan. Might as well burn most of that fuel out before doing the pump. Let me know how everything goes