Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2002 Ford Escape. How to change the bulb for the engine

light. It seems stuck. Does...
2002 Ford Escape. How to change the bulb for the engine light. It seems stuck. Does it come off?
11/17/2017
Matt, Engineer

Hello

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light staying on then this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
It won’t come on ever

Hello

Ok so if the engine light isn't coming on with all the bulb check process( when all the dash lights up on key-on) then yes there's a fault with the dash light

in which case the instrument pack will have to come out so you can replace the bulb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqFqwbjkaOw

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
No im good I took it in and they said someone put tape on something. They pulled the tape off and it’s fine. Thanks
Matt, Engineer