Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When I turn the temp control to hot it makes a load clicking…

When I turn the...

When I turn the temp control to hot it makes a load clicking knocking noise behind the panel. Doesn't seem to be the blend door

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Just started this morning, noise is almost in the center behind the consol

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2004 Explorer XLT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet. If the temp control is rotated completely to hot it makes the noise, if I back it off 1/4 inch it stops. There is heat coming out

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

11/17/2017
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

Ir sounds like the blend door actuator in your explorer is failing. It is a small motor/actuator with plastic gears inside of it that wear out. When they start to loose teeth on those gears you will start hearing the clicking noise from the gears skipping when it tries to move to a certain position to adjust the temperature. Eventually enough teeth will strip off that it will no longer work at all. Do you plan to fix it yourself?

don't think it's the blend door. It only makes the noise when it's turned completely to hot. if I back it off 1/8 inch it stops. I looked at the blend door through the glove box and the noise seemed to come from the other side. The actuator is broken so there is a small foam black on the blend door in the heat position
the actuator arm moves in and ok and the noise isn't coming from there
I hear it slightly nearer the driver side

That sure sounds like a blend door actuator. That's exactly what they do when the gears start to strip.

There are three actuators on this model. One for temp, one for recirculation, and one for mode. Does it sound like maybe it's coming from just below the radio?

below and to the left a bit, pretty loud

I'm thinking that's the driver side blend door actuator. Let me pull up a diagram to show what I mean.

I can see the blend door looking though the glove box and that actuator arm moves ok.
so the temp control also has one?

The one you are seeing in the glove box is probably the recirculation door.

Pull the plastic duct just to the right of your foot if sitting in the driver's seat and then put your hand over this and see if you can feel the clicking coming from here:

seems higher than that, more like knee level
I got the diagram ok
I'm in my office so car is outside

I should have said left of your leg rather than foot. It's just under the dash.

left of leg or right? the sound is to the right
I can run out there and record it to send to you

Right leg.

give me 5 min I'll check, is that ok?

Sounds good. I'm here as long as you need.

need to make the file size smaller. The noise is left of the console and it seems to be a little higher the knee level

I think we're talking about the same thing. There is only one actuator on the driver's side of the console.

one more sec, the file was too big. ugh
coming to you shortly
ok the mvi files won't transfer
I think you're right. it goes click click clack
it won't make the noise until the temp control is fully hot, if I back it off even a little bit it stops

It just means that the gear is stripped off in that one location. It is not terribly hard to swap out. Alldata says to remove the dash, but it can be done without pulling it, you just have to squeeze it out.

Ok, thanks for the help!

Please let me know if you need additional info.

will do, what's the name of that part or part number?

It should be listed as the driver side blend door actuator or temp door actuator. Let me see if I can find a part number.

I appreciate it

Do you have dual zone auto controls or dual zone manual?

no dual zone
in case I didn't say, 2004 XLT

It should be: Motorcraft YH1744

thanks!

* Please take time to rate my response- as an expert I don't work directly for Just Answer- any resources I provide to you are furnished at my own personal expense. I only receive compensation based on positive ratings from you. Therefore, I cannot offer my time, insights, advice, diagrams, etc, without that positive rating. If you are unable to positively rate my response please let me know. After rating I will still be available for follow-up questions at no additional charge.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician