Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It is a ranger 1995 4 litre v6. It will not start. If you…

It is a ranger...

It is a ranger 1995 4 litre v6. It will not start. If you take the airflow sensor off, it will start but barely runs. I replaced the sensor but does not help. What could be wrong

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

Mass airflow sensor. What do you mean by trouble code

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have only replaced the airflow sensor is all. Did not help

11/17/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, it can be caused by a variety of things, the first thing that needs to be done is use a scan tool and run a diagnostic check for codes. Clear any maf sensor codes from disconnecting it and retest for on demand faults. Unplugging it puts it in a failsafe strategy. Need to check the basics, verify fuel pressure at the rail and check for codes first

Alright I will try that and see if it runs. Thanks for your help.

Very good, if you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating. If you still have maf sensor codes the new sensor may be defective or there is a problem with the circuit or pcm.

Am I able to rent a scan tool? If so where. I tried a few mechanics but their tool was for newer cars.

You can jump the self test connector as shown and count the check engine light. Your local part store may rent an eec-iv scan tool but you need to check with them

If you need more help please let me know. If I answered your questions please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Thank you!

I am having trouble renting that tool I need for testing.

Then you're options are to go out and buy one or take it to a shop that has one and have them run a diagnostic on the vehicle for you