Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 03 6.0 diesel excursion If I’m going slow the engine

My 03 6.0 diesel...

My 03 6.0 diesel excursion If I’m going slow the engine stops and I can go to neutral and always restart. No check engine lights. Sometimes I get a flashing theft light and today I think it flashed in code sequence. 1 flash then 6. Recently had both crank and cam sensor replaced l die while driving and If I’m at speed it catches again and I get the glow plug light for a second. Truck then seems to be in limp mode for a few seconds and If i let up on the gas and get back in it sometimes it is fine. Sometimes it will try to stall again a few times but I can get it to calm down. I

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It blinks while engine running, after it tried to die while driving. It’s like the key is turned off while driving just for a second then engine runs again within that second If im at speed.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Excursion?

2003 6.0 diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Excursion yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven’t done anything so far. I can do a replaced the crank sensor and cam sensor s.lot myself but don’t have the diagnosis tools. Recently had it die on the road and not restart. Ended

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, cam and crank sensors recently replaced.

11/16/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello Gene, my name isJustin.

Hello, the theft lamp doesnt cause the vehicle to stall or blink out a diagnostic code. The diesel engine is a very complicated engine. It has several control systems in place that must be properly diagnosed by using a scan tool to first check for diagnostic trouble codes stored if any and then to perform on demand diagnostic tests and look at live sensor data. Multiple things can cause an engine to stall. If the vehicle has modifications can also affect how it runs. If you want to diagnose this vehicle it will be ideal to get it scanned or invest in a scan tool, otherwise you are just guessing and wasting both time and money. A problem with the FICM, a problem with the high pressure oil system a problem with the turbo plugged up with carbon or something else can cause a stall. Im assuming you are up to date on maintenance with fuel filters and the correct engine oil. This is where you have to start.

I have a harbor freight scan tool, $150 one. I have never gotten any check engine lights, and I don’t think my scanner is good enough to find any codes. Haven’t pulled any codes yet. When the truck left me stranded about a year ago the shop replaced cam and crank sensor. Said ficm voltage was fine. Truck has no mods, all stock 240k miles and I change oil and fuel filters regularly. Running rotela t6 synthetic oil. I might be due for fuel filters, have about 30 k on both filters now.

Yes you are due for filters for sure. If there is a problem with the ICP sensor leaking or not reading properly it can shut down the truck, Same with the IPR solenoid.I would do your fuel filter maintenance since you are due anyways and see if any codes are stored in memory such as P0299 for turbo boost performance, if the turbo is plugged up with carbon, it can cause issues as wheel as a carboned up egr valve.

Ok, I’ll start with the filters and maybe pull the egr valve and see if it has carbon. And try and pull codes maybe. I’ll get back to you after a while. I have to go get the filters,so it might be a day or so. I know where the IPR solenoid is, I think it’s driver side on back of engine. Not sure about icp. I will let you know what I find.

On this model the IPC is next to the IPR. If you need more help please let me know. If i was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

The injection control pressure (ICP) sensor is located under the turbocharger up pipe.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Thank you!

Sure Gene, get back to you soon.

Very good, just let me know if you need more help.