Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2014 Escape is grinding cups on the inside of the rear…

Customer Question
My 2014 Escape is...

My 2014 Escape is grinding cups on the inside of the rear tires. This is a replacement set that has 13,000 miles on them.Alignment has been checked twice and found to be within factory specs. Falcon tire rep at iscoun

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

From the rear original but after rotation, it seems to be all over. Discout tire offered about 25% off on a new set of Falcons stating the it was not the tires problem. Tires have been rotated on 5 - 8 Thousand mile schedule. Lots of unhappy owners on the internet with this Escape problem state that factory camber specs in rer are wrong and there are kits to correct available, Car 250 miles now over driveline warrenty. Can you help? Noise started this summer with about 8000 miles on the clock on the new tires. What about the kit to fix rear camber?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Alignment check, driveline inspection, tire rotation at Ford Dealer and at professional alignment shops. Researching problem myself with not many suggestions from either place about correction kits. Not capable of tackling problem on my own.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

All I can think of at this point.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
11/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 5 months ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, cupping is the result of up and down oscillation. the rear shocks should be stopping this from happening.

camber and toe in will cause tire wear but not cupping.

how many miles did you get from the first set of tires??

lots of stuff on internet about this problem....defined as esape camber adjustment.

again, camber does not cup, just wear.

how many miles on the suv??

Shocks defined by expert as fine shape...asked that question before Need better answer!
13000 on this set of tires and 50250 on the care
Camber is set to factory specs...apparently always has been. Shocks been checked and are fine. Why is a kit being marketed to correct this problem? You are not helping here. Kit being sold by several supply houses..Is this the Answer? OEM tires lasted 37000 miles. Blow out on the road the road took out right front necessitating new set. Under carriage of car as adjudged by alignment shop and dealers not damaged. Need to dig deeper guys..I am desparate and will not get replacement tires until I get a satisfactory answer!
Ford Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Do you still need help with an answer?

I have the feeling that I have done more research on this problem than have your mechanics. Ford Motor should know that this is a common problem with Escapes. I want to know if you think this camber adjustment kit is sanctioned, helpful and endorsed. Check JC Whitney for a description. I know tire rotation is part of the answer and I do that on a regular schedule.
A dealer in storm Lake IA admitted this is a problem but had no solid answer. Please dig in into this? Otherwise I love this car. And will purchase another if we get this problem solved

could you please tell me what is in the kit then I can tell you more about this.

Don't know contents or materials...sells for $19 in various supply houses such as JC Whitney. Appears to be bracket like or addition to suspension to correct rear suspension and tire cupping. What about this? I am very patient so please take time to research this problem. Suspension on Escape came from Focus I am told and they had a similar problem. Also problem said to be dominant in the all wheel drives.

I really do not need time to research this as not only am I a master tech but an alignment and suspension specialist. So latter today I will send you some pictures and things that may better help you understand what is going on and we can take it from there. Also consider requesting a srvice from us so I can better explain this one on one, there it will be faster and you can ask all the questions and get answers quicker.

Thanks, I appreciate this effort! Will you recommend a solution to the rumbly rear end?
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician