Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Ford Mustang 3.9 40th anniversary edition with…

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Ford Mustang 3.9 40th anniversary edition with a GEM that is drawing about .179 Amps when plugged in. When I plug in the black connector it automatically engages a relay inside it and starts the draw

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

Car has about 125 k and after about 3 days the battery is dead because of the draw

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Anniversary Edition?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Anniversary Edition yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yea I’m actually a technician and I actually tried another 2 GEM from a salavage yard and they still come “on” when I plug the connector

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have all the other connections disconnected and it’s still doing the same thing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

The GEM has the delay functions as well as the direct connections. Are you giving it enough time to "time out". At least 5 minutes with the power undisturbed.

I’ve given it about 10minutes. I just reconnected everything back to it and locked all the doors and am running a parasitic drain test to see if after more than that the GEM shuts off

OK, that is what you want to do. Let me know what you see.

Do you have a meter that does min/max or a scope that you can record with?

Just a regular meter. Right now it’s draining .170 Amos and it’s been about 5 mins

Which connectors do you have out?

I plugged everything back in. All the connectors to the GEM are connected.

OK, then you still have the possibility of something telling it to stay awake. Let it go for 30 minutes to be sure.

If you have a keyless entry make sure it is at least 20 feet away from the vehicle.

Sounds good. What I find weird is that even with all the inputs disconnected and just connecting the black connector it clicks on. I’m thing that every time I do that I’m just “resetting” the GEM and it’s staying awake and not giving it enough time.

The black connector is the one in the C position?

That has the inside lights on signal wire and door ajar switches.

That’s the tan one the black one has 2 grounds one black and another black Nd white and a white and yellow that says voltage supplied at all time and a yellow and light green that also says voltage supplied at all times

There are 5 connectors right? Let's make sure I am on the right drawings. What is the engine vin code?

Yea there are 5 connectors
Engine vin code 6
My Devon just shut off on it’s own After 20mins so the test started all over again because I had to reconnect it
But the draw is still at .170
DVOM*

OK, my information says 3 are black and then you have a white and tan so we need to talk about the A - E connectors. The 20 pin black is the C

The 26 pin white is the E

the 12 pin black ios the D

the 4 pin tan is A

the 4 pin black is the B

Unplug the 20 pin black and leave all the others plugged in.

Are you seeing the draw step down anywhere along the way?

It is important to know if everything is working as it should, does the wiper delay work?

Does the door locks all work and does the door ajar light go out?

Park brake switch light?

How about the seat belt lights? Does it come on when unbuckled and back off when buckled?

Parking lights work? No LED bulbs?

Is there anything plugged into the DLC? Insurance dongle?

Disconnected the black 20 pin and no change. I’ve tried disconnecting one at a time and draw would only drop if I disconnect the 4 pin black connector B

That is the power and ground so that is not a cause.

If none of the outputs are dropping it then I do think you have a GEM problem

If none of the output functions are dropping it I think you are on the right track with modules you just have not had a good one yet. These all were made on the same assembly line at the same time so they all have the same problems

Do you have a scantool you can see the output state and activate the outputs from the DLC?

Yea I do
Yea because it’s only when I plug the black 4 pin connector that the draw occurs. If everything is diaconnectones and I just plug in that plug it automatically starts the draw

The 4 pin is power and ground so there can be no draw with it unplugged. It is not the problem.

Run each output and watch to see if it shows activated. If they all are correct and all the functions I listed above are working correctly it is time for another module. Wish I had a source for a new one but the closest I can come is to have a rebuilder refurb one of yours. Googling "GEM rebuild" will get you several sources.

Wish I had a silver bullet for you but this is the way of old Fords. I think all of them will die for lack of a GEM eventually

Please let me know if you have further questions, if nothing further please complete the rating

Thanks