Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The dealership tells me I have oil in the coolant on a ford…

Customer Question
The dealership tells me...

The dealership tells me I have oil in the coolant on a ford focus and the engine needs to be replaced. He's been losing water and we've been watching it. The car doesn't seem to be losing oil and theres no water showing up on the dipstick. Does this sound right?? If oil was getting in the water, shouldn't just the opposite be happening as well?

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

We've not been able to find a leak. We know the water is disappearing but thought maybe it was a small leak and the water just diccapating on the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Focus?

2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, it's at a dealership and they want to replace the engine. The car runs fine, the water just keeps disappearing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

A few months back the thermostat gasket started leaking and they replaced the thermostat and housing.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
11/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Is this the 2.0 engine your working on?

again I am not working on it. I am not a mechanic.

The normal cause for this type of problem is a blown head gasket and in some cases a cracked head. Have they ran a bloc test on it?

No, all they've done is tell me they saw oil in the coolant reservoir.

If in fact you have a blown head gasket you usually do not have to replace the engine. I would insist that they perform an engine block test to check the head gasket.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if there was a crack or blown gasket, since the water is under pressure, wouldn't there be water in the base pan?? Or if water was leaking into a cylinder wouldn't the car be missing??

If the gasket is leaking in the sealing area then its common to get oil in the coolant because the oil pressure is stronger then the coolant pressure. Its not likely a cracked head but more likely a bad head gasket. The head gasket has oil passages in it so oil can reach the head.

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician