Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Need to know how to diagnose which cylinder is misfiring on…

Customer Question
Need to know how...

Need to know how to diagnose which cylinder is misfiring on my 6.0 diesel engine

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

2006 with 117,000 miles. 6 months ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2006 ford f-350

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. just additives. was told by mechanic shop that it was probably an injector.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just need to know how to find the correct misfiring piston

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
11/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

The Ford 6.0l diesel is arguably the worst Ford vehicle ever to perform repairs on.

The best, ***** ***** conclusive way to diagnose this would be with a scan tool capable of performing a power balance test. The scan tool will test each cylinder and then return data about which cylinders are contributing to misfire data or which cylinders are underperforming.

The only other method that might give a general idea would be to listen to the sound of each injector with a mechanic's stethoscope. A bad injector might sound slightly different from a good injector.

Have you had it scanned for trouble codes yet?

No. Thats what i was trying to forego

If the check engine light is on it might have stored a trouble code or two already. Most parts stores will scan those codes for free. If the injector is completely failed it could have set a code that might point you to the exact cylinder in question.

Ok. Thanks.. all done

Please let me know if you need additional info. I can help you nail down the problem later on if you are able to get it scanned. I have a fleet of these trucks so I've seen my fair share of bad injectors.

Ok