Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 ford expedition and when I turn the key to…

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 ford expedition and when I turn the key to start it I get nothing. The battery is new and not the issue. I replaced the starter solenoid and still nothing when I jump the 2 terminals it starts any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It is in park and I have no idea of a wheel lock.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing myself. I replaced the battery and the starter solenoid. When I turn the key I hear a little whimper as if not enough power to starter. but if I hook a remoter starter to the solenoid and have the key in the run position it starts

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
11/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Ok have you checked the relay yet?

No where is it located?
Sorry I replaced that already. When I jump the 2 large terminals with the key in the run position it starts

ok check the smaller terminals for power and the other for ground

okay

in the start position of course

okay looking at the relay with the "s" terminal to the right that terminal has 20 volts the top terminal which has a small red wire has 9.8 volts and the lower terminal has 11.9 volts in the start position.

20v? what setting do you have your meter on?

sorry rechecked it is reading 30 mv when in the start position. My glasses were fogging up it is so cold right now
Just wanted to let you know I found the issue and repaired it. It was a broken wire causing the issue in the loom near the distribution box in the engine compartment.
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me nothing less than a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!