Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am installing a fuel pump in my 1997 ford ranger that has…

Customer Question
I am installing a...

I am installing a fuel pump in my 1997 ford ranger that has been setting for 6 years the old pump is not recognizable because of the time in the tank. the new fuel pump came with 2 lines going into the tank but one was capped off. I removed the clamped on cap but after video on u tube I saw one with the cap left on the truck won't start and fuel was dripping out from the caped line on top

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

I just filled it after removing the tank cleaning it and replacing the pump fuel fill tube and filter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying but i don't claim to be a shade tree LOL

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if the cap should be taken off or left on and there is something else i should do

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
11/15/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 10 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Can you upload some pictures to this page so I can see the new fuel pump that was installed?