Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2015 ford escape won't start and starting system fault

Customer Question
2015 ford escape won't...

2015 ford escape won't start and starting system fault message appears

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes, battery was corroded this last weekend and got new battery and battery wires Monday. Car drove fine Monday and Tuesday until late last night and then stalled with Starting System Fault message

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

It drove fine this morning and then just tried it and the message appeared again

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
11/15/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing great. My name is***** am a Ford technician and would be happy to assist you with this today.

Have you double checked the battery connections to make sure they did not come loose? If the battery connections are still good then we will need to test for voltage at the starter.

When you go to start it is it dead? Clicking? Or does the engine still crank?

AAA came out and checked the battery and it was good. All the lights, radio, etc. work fine

Okay great. If the battery is good then chances are it is something with the starter solenoid. Do you have a multimeter we can use to do a few voltage tests? I will locate the fuse/relay info and let you know what needs to be checked

Earlier today, I started the car without any problems. Came to work, stopped it, left, and ran an errand, stopped it and came back without incident. But three hours later when I went to start the car all the lights were on but it would not turn over and the saftey security failure message appeared again
I do not I am at work
I'm reading alot of information online pointing to the passive alarm installed within the vehicle. Doe sthat have anything to do with the starter solenoid?

Alright that helps alot, if it is the security message being displayed then it should not be a starter issue. More than likely either the key fob battery has died, or the key programming was lost. I would go grab a new fob battery and try that, if the issue is still present then you will have to get it to the dealer so that they can run a check and update the PATS system

Is the fob the keyless key? I don't have that I have a button key that fits in the door and ignition. Is the only way to have it reprogrammed is through the dealer?

Yes the fob is the keyless key. It will have a small 5v battery inside that can replaced. If you have an Autozone nearby you can take the fob in to have it tested free of charge.

The security system is usually only accessible by the dealer. There may be a few local shops who have compatible scantools, but you will have to call around and ask a few shops

What scantool would a shop need to have to be able to reprogram the system?

They are going to need to have a scantool that is capable of programming modules and keys. Most certified independent shops will have these as long as they are a certified shop. Look for the ASE certification badge on the website/building and you will know if it is a certified repair center.