Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ignition switch will not start 04 f150, will only start by…

Customer Question
Ignition switch will not...

Ignition switch will not start 04 f150 , will only start by jumping starter solenoid but will cut off by ignition switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I am a technician, battery fine, starter fine, no fire going to small wire on starter solenoid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Can u read

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
checked battery starter will start by jumping starter solenoid and will turn off by ignition switch. no fire going to small red wire that hooks to solenoid. fuses good relays good
11/15/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Are you working with an automatic transmission or a manual trans?

Automatic

Okay there are two fuse that power the start circuit on your F 150 that you need to check first . Check the fuse F111 located in the under hood fuse panel as well as the fuse F 21 located in the interior fuse panel , check this fuse with the key in the crank position and let me know what you find.

Already checked all fuses and relays. New starter, starter solenoid, new electrical part to ignition switch

Okay if you sure you have power out of the ignition switch through the fuse 21 then the next step would be to go down to the transmission range sensor located on the drivers side of the transmission where the shiftier connects and with a help holding the key in the crank position check to see if you have power into the range sensor on the Dark blue/orange wire and out of it on the tan/red wire to the solenoid.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician